To me, living a healthy lifestyle means maintaining a balanced diet, exercising often, following a generally solid sleep schedule, communicating with others, and loving yourself. Living a healthy lifestyle is obviously supposed to be important to me, but honestly, it hasn't been a priority lately. It's hard to exercise and follow a sleep schedule between school, extracurriculars, and unpredictable workloads.
As a teenager, I don't always have a choice in what I eat, because I'm expected to eat the food that's put in front of me, healthy or not. When I was younger, I would only eat what I wanted to eat off my plate. I would spend hours at the table, because my mother wouldn't let me leave unless I finished everything. Usually, I would sneak the leftover food into the trash and eat sweets in front of the TV. After taking a nutrition course in seventh grade, another in eighth, and another in ninth, I started paying more attention to what I was eating, sometimes even watching the occasional nutrition documentary on Netflix. I went cold turkey on sweets and switched chocolate out for fruits (unbeknownst to seventh-grade me, consuming large amounts of fructose is also bad for you) and nuts.
My family was happy that I was making a change (they try their best to eat as healthy as possible), but they were a little suspicious about me going on a "diet". I've been underweight my entire life, and cutting out artificial sugar, a fair portion of my diet, probably worried them. I still try my best not to eat sweets, but when everyone around you does something, it's hard not to do it too. 😩
No comments:
Post a Comment