Friday, January 13, 2017

sugar challenge

When I first heard about the Sugar Challenge, I was kind of annoyed, because the challenge was to do something that I try to do every day. After a few years, it's still not easy, but I wish that I could do something more challenging or at least relevant to me. Even HCC is a little boring now, but sometimes, my friends turn to me and say, "Oh, that's why you don't eat sweets?"  Not to be cocky, but I'm very confident that I can meet the challenge, because it's already something that's integrated into my daily life.

In seventh grade, when I started cutting back on added sugar, I tried going cold turkey. Because sugar triggers dopamine in the brain's pleasure center, it takes a while for your body to get used to a large difference in your sugar levels. I started feeling cranky and tired, and eventually opted for a periodical binge on sweets, instead of my regular constant flow. I didn't realize it at the time, but it had a big impact on my mood. I started to develop anxiety, and made an increasing amount of impulsive decisions.

Image result for sweets bingingImage result for sweets bingingImage result for sweets bingingImage result for sweets binging


One night in eighth grade, when I was bored and home alone, I watched a documentary called "Fed Up" on Netflix. It was the first of many. "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", "Forks Over Knives", "Hungry For Change", "Bite Size", "Vegucated": somehow, the corny-sounding documentaries seemed more appealing than TV shows to easily-impressionable, hoping-to-be-a-nutritionist, 12-year-old me/ I learned more about the effects of sugar, and I realized that binges are unhealthy. I slowly cut back on sugar, until I was within the recommended amount. If I was only counting added sugar.

Even now, I still get a weird look when I order fruits instead of dessert, or buy water instead of lemonade. "Freaking health freak" is the most common comment I get from my older sister (who doesn't give a single heck about added sugar even though I always tell her how bad it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment