I don't get why some people don't like to eat fruits and vegetables. Well, I understand that the same foods taste different to everyone, but I personally really like them. Maybe I lied to myself so many times that I convinced myself that I like eating healthy, but fruits are honestly my favorite type of food. I would pick a salad over a burger any day. I know that I'm lucky to even have the option of eating better, because some people would kill to be able to offer their family a chance to be healthy. Then again, I'm not so healthy myself. My BMI is 16, which is well outside the minimum to be considered a normal weight (18.5). I'm just thankful that it's not as bad as it used to be; when I was in seventh grade, I had a BMI of 14.8. Others with the same BMI suffered from strokes, heart failure, and straight-up death. I was lucky. None of those things happened to me (especially not death haha). I know that BMI's aren't 100% accurate, because they fail to account for muscle mass, which makes you heavier, despite it obviously not having any health detriments. The formula for BMI is your weight in kilograms divided by your height in meters squared. This formula says nothing about specific body measurements, which are what actually counts. Scientists believe that we should be looking at our waist circumference in relation to our height, as this better takes into account the distribution of fat in the body. It also makes more sense to me, because I'm considered "extremely slim" instead of "holy cow you're about to die".
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
super size me + BMI
I don't get why some people don't like to eat fruits and vegetables. Well, I understand that the same foods taste different to everyone, but I personally really like them. Maybe I lied to myself so many times that I convinced myself that I like eating healthy, but fruits are honestly my favorite type of food. I would pick a salad over a burger any day. I know that I'm lucky to even have the option of eating better, because some people would kill to be able to offer their family a chance to be healthy. Then again, I'm not so healthy myself. My BMI is 16, which is well outside the minimum to be considered a normal weight (18.5). I'm just thankful that it's not as bad as it used to be; when I was in seventh grade, I had a BMI of 14.8. Others with the same BMI suffered from strokes, heart failure, and straight-up death. I was lucky. None of those things happened to me (especially not death haha). I know that BMI's aren't 100% accurate, because they fail to account for muscle mass, which makes you heavier, despite it obviously not having any health detriments. The formula for BMI is your weight in kilograms divided by your height in meters squared. This formula says nothing about specific body measurements, which are what actually counts. Scientists believe that we should be looking at our waist circumference in relation to our height, as this better takes into account the distribution of fat in the body. It also makes more sense to me, because I'm considered "extremely slim" instead of "holy cow you're about to die".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment