I couldn't stand in front of the class without shaking, and I became aggressively defensive. I used to love being in choir, but the concerts scared me out of my mind. I would stand in my choir uniform, twitching and only mouthing along to a song that I'd spent hours practicing. Despite that, I auditioned for Advanced Choir and failed, moving into Honours Choir instead (That's just a nice way of saying "too old for Cadet, but couldn't get into Advanced). One year, we had a "final", where we had to sing a solo in front of the whole class. I broke out in a cold sweat and quit the week after. When I got into high school, I tried to combat this. Instead of being defensive, I tried being friendly, and talked to whoever I could, clenching my teeth in an attempt to control my wild stutter. I thought I could finally be the friendly, cheerful social kid, but I was labeled with "fake" instead.
I've learned to let go and managed to find my way into an amazing group of friends, but I still can't do everything like I used to. I hate talking about it, but my greatest fear is eating in front of other people. I feel like I look disgusting, and I fight to ignore my stomach growling in class. It's been a few years, and I'm okay with eating small meals in front of my friends or people that I'm comfortable with. Otherwise, I can wait until after school.
I've been underweight all my life, which is another thing that I've tried to change. No matter how much I eat or exercise, or how many times I count my calories, or how often I literally gag from forcing myself to eat, I can't gain weight. I'm 5' 6", and I don't even weigh 100 pounds. I guess that's why they call it "a work in progress". 😬
Thank you so much for your honest and open post. It was really inspiring to read how you are approaching and reflecting on some of the things you have and are struggling with. know I and many others can relate to many of the things you shared- thank you for providing a voice for these issues.
ReplyDelete